Current:Home > MarketsPrincess of Wales appears in first photo since surgery amid wild speculation of her whereabouts -Wealth Nexus Pro
Princess of Wales appears in first photo since surgery amid wild speculation of her whereabouts
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 19:19:37
LONDON (AP) — The first photo of Kate, the Princess of Wales, since her abdominal surgery nearly two months ago was issued Sunday along with a statement thanking the public for its support.
The photo of her in a chair surrounded by her three children was credited to her husband, William, Prince of Wales and heir to the throne, and was said to be taken earlier in the week in Windsor.
“Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months,” Kate said on social media. “Wishing everyone a Happy Mother’s Day.”
It follows weeks of wild speculation on social media about her whereabouts since she left a hospital Jan. 29 after a nearly two week stay following planned surgery. She hadn’t been seen publicly since Christmas Day.
The royal family has been under more scrutiny than usual in recent weeks, because both Kate and King Charles III can’t carry out their usual public duties because of health problems.
Royal officials say Charles is undergoing treatment for an unspecified form of cancer, which was discovered during treatment for an enlarged prostate. The monarch has canceled all his public engagements while he receives treatment, though he’s been photographed walking to church and meeting privately with government officials and dignitaries.
Kate, 42, underwent surgery Jan. 16 and her condition and the reason for the surgery have not been revealed, though Kensington Palace, Prince William and Kate’s office said it was not cancer-related.
Although the palace initially said it would only provide significant updates and that she would not return to royal duties before Easter — March 31 this year — it followed up with a statement last month amid the rumors and conspiracy theories by saying she was doing well and reiterating its previous statement.
“Kensington Palace made it clear in January the timelines of the princess’ recovery and we’d only be providing significant updates,” the palace said Feb. 29. “That guidance stands.”
At the time, royal aides told The Sun newspaper: “We’ve seen the madness of social media and that is not going to change our strategy. There has been much on social media but the Princess has a right to privacy and asks the public to respect that.”
Further questions were raised last week when the British military appeared to jump the gun in announcing Kate would attend a Trooping the Color ceremony in June, apparently without consulting palace officials.
The appearance would have been her first major official duty since the surgery but Kensington Palace didn’t confirm any scheduled public events for Kate. It’s up to palace officials, not government departments, to announce and confirm the royals’ attendance at events.
The army later removed the reference to her attendance.
British media reported that the army did not seek approval from Kensington Palace before publishing details about Kate’s appearance in June, and announced the event based on the expectation that Kate, in her role as Colonel of the Irish Guards, would inspect the troops this year at the annual military ceremony.
veryGood! (1937)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- UEFA Euro 2024: Dates, teams, schedule and more to know ahead of soccer tournament
- Honda, Ford, BMW among 199,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Psst! Pottery Barn’s Memorial Day Sale Has Hundreds of Items up to 50% Off, With Homeware Starting at $4
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Videos show NASCAR stars Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Kyle Busch — and their crews — getting into fight at All-Star Race
- Americans are getting more therapy than ever -- and spending more. Here's why.
- New York-Dublin video link is back up after shutdown for bad behavior
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Taxpayer costs for profiling verdict over Joe Arpaio’s immigration crackdowns to reach $314M
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Step Out Together Amid Breakup Rumors
- Over $450K recovered for workers of California mushroom farms that were sites of fatal shootings
- Eminem's Daughter Hailie Jade Marries Evan McClintock With Her Dad By Her Side
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Cargo ship Dali refloated to a marina 8 weeks after Baltimore bridge collapse
- When is the U.S. Open? Everything you need to know about golf's third major of the season
- Tennessee professor swept away by wave during Brazil study-abroad trip has died
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Auburn running back Brian Battie on ventilator after weekend shooting in Florida, coach says
Still unsure about college? It's not too late to apply for scholarships or even school.
Insider Q&A: CIA’s chief technologist’s cautious embrace of generative AI
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Flight attendant pleads not guilty to attempting to record teen girl in airplane bathroom
Tori Spelling Reveals Multiple Stomach Piercings She Got as a Gift From Her Kids
Blue Origin shoots 6 tourists into space after nearly 2-year hiatus: Meet the new astronauts