Current:Home > InvestTrump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case -Wealth Nexus Pro
Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:56:41
Donald Trump is asking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."
Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.
Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.
Trump has denied assaulting Carroll and claimed her story was fabricated. She testified that they had been amiably walking through the store, joking during a light conversation, before Trump pushed her against a wall, her head slamming against it, and forcefully penetrated her with his hand and penis.
Trump's attorneys claimed $2.7 million in compensatory damages for defamation were based on "speculation" about how many people viewed a defamatory social media post by Trump in which he denied the allegation. The filing also claims the remaining punitive damages related to the defamation were awarded "without due process."
Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said in a statement to CBS News that Trump is trying to argue Carroll doesn't "deserve" the damages awarded to her, "even if he did those things."
"Trump's arguments are frivolous," Kaplan said. "The jury carefully considered the evidence that Ms. Carroll presented, and Trump did not put on a single witness of his own. This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions."
Carroll's attorneys argued during the eight-day trial that her allegations against Trump fit with what they called Trump's "modus operandi." In addition to witnesses who said Carroll confided in them after the incident, the jury heard from two other women who described Trump suddenly turning casual confrontations into sexual misconduct. They also watched the "Access Hollywood" video clip that emerged during the 2016 campaign, in which Trump could be heard crudely describing grabbing women by their genitals.
Trump has also appealed the verdict and continues to vehemently deny the allegations. Carroll amended a separate, previously filed defamation lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in new damages. She claimed comments Trump made at a televised town hall — the day after the jury found him liable — were also disparaging.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Much of central US faces severe thunderstorm threat and possible tornadoes
- Supreme Court allows Idaho to enforce its ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth
- Ruby Franke’s Estranged Husband Kevin Is Suing Her Former Business Partner Jodi Hildebrandt
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Ohio Uber driver shot and killed by elderly man agitated by scam call: Police
- Charges against Trump and Jan. 6 rioters at stake as Supreme Court hears debate over obstruction law
- 6 dead, suspect killed after stabbing attack at shopping center in Sydney, Australia; multiple people injured
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Tesla plans to lay off more than 10% of workforce as sales slump
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Large dust devil captured by storm chaser as it passes through Route 66 in Arizona: Watch
- Native Americans have shorter life spans, and it's not just due to lack of health care
- 2024 NBA play-in tournament: What I'm watching, TV schedule, predictions
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Target's car seat trade-in event is here. Here's how to get a 20% off coupon.
- Experts group says abortion in Germany should be decriminalized during pregnancy’s first 12 weeks
- Former New Mexico football player convicted of robbing a postal carrier
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Nebraska teacher arrested after police find her, teen student naked in car, officials say
Supreme Court turns away appeal from Black Lives Matter activist facing lawsuit from police officer
Salman Rushdie’s ‘Knife’ is unflinching about his brutal stabbing and uncanny in its vital spirit
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
USA Basketball finalizing 11 players for Paris Olympics, led by LeBron James, Steph Curry
Former New Mexico football player convicted of robbing a postal carrier
Taylor Swift's Stylish Coachella Look Included a $35 Skirt